Monday, November 22, 2010

Reflection...

About 30 minutes before Grandma's service began, the preacher approached me and said that I had been appointed to say something after the obituary was read. Unfortunately, I had to decline because I didn't have anything prepared. I didn't want to stand up there and look like a babbling fool. However, if I would have had an opportunity to organize my thoughts, I would have said something like this...

My name is Jodie and I am the youngest of Fay's four grandchildren. On behalf of our family, I would like to extend our love and gratitude to everyone who has shared with us in our time of grief.

I have many wonderful memories of Grandma Fay. As I'm sure most people who knew her also have fond times to reflect on. Here's some of mine, in particular...
Walking several blocks with her, hand-in-hand, from my house to the main road. Then sitting under a shade tree and counting the passing cars.
Going with Grandma when I was 5 to get our ears pierced and being frightened when it was my turn. Soon, my tears turned to laughter when Grandma Fay hollered out and nearly jumped out of the chair as her first ear was pierced.
Riding in the car with Mom and Dad for hours to visit Grandma at her home on B street. Upon walking through her front door, the warmth of the house hugged you and the smell of a roast cooking left your mouth watering.
Sitting around the dinner table playing chicken foot dominoes late into the evening hours, laughing and scheming, trying to get rid of the double blank.

Anyone who ever met her has a story to tell. But I am one of the lucky ones who has hundreds of stories to tell. I will be able to sit down with my children and share the tales of love and laughter, compassion and grace and all of the wonderful things about her. In addition to my stories, I will also be able to share another aspect of Grandma... the things that her character lacked.

While Grandma Fay possessed qualities that most everyone strives for (the kindness, humility, and tenderness) she also lacked qualities that most of us have. For instance, Grandma Fay lacked the tendency to complain. In my 26 years of knowing her, never did she utter a complaint or gripe about something she had to do or another person who was irritating her. Instead, she was full of joy and light, never letting her troubles overcome her. She faced life head on with a positivity that can only be attributed to her faith. She leaned on God and not her own understanding. Grandma was certain of God's plan for her and knew that any obstacle in her way was not for her to worry about. She had many things to be thankful for and did not brood over daily frustrations.

Grandma did not gossip or talk about folks behind their backs. In fact, I never heard an ill word about anyone come from her lips. It's hard to find a woman (or man for that matter) who doesn't enjoy hearing things on the grapevine then calling up a friend to discuss the latest. Can you think of anyone who lacks this quality?

Grandma Fay did not falter on her beliefs. On the contrary, she was steadfast and headstrong. She was a loyal church-goer and did not question her faith. She followed the word of God as it was meant to be followed. Did this mean she was a prude who never had fun? No way! I remember her traveling with her friends all over the country (most frequently, to Branson) and one of her favorite singers was Elvis Presley. Her life was full of joy and contentment. She was a model Christian woman whose way of life should be patterned. A true inspiration.

Grandma did not place significant value on material things. She never lived in a mansion or drove a Mercedes. She never tried to keep up with the Joneses. She never spent thousands of dollars on lavish gifts for Christmases or birthdays. Instead, she focused on what was truly meaningful...relationships, building and nurturing strong loving relationships with people. Toys, clothes and other gifts get tossed aside after months or years of use. However, Grandma knew that relationships beginning with Christ as the foundation, only grow with time and when they are over, the memories of them will last on. With this in mind, she fostered many friendships with people from all walks of life and made lasting impressions on them all.

Even though her life with us has come to an end, she will live on through all of these things...the things she did and the things she didn't. Let's not let her memorial end after today's service. Let's continue to remember her through our actions and deeds and everyday life. May we all strive to let God's light shine through us as it did her.

And here's a pleasant thought in closing-
As I sat in the room with Grandma during her final days, it occured to me that nearly all of her friends and family had preceeded her in death. I couldn't help but picture Jesus along with my grandfather, my great-grandparents, Grandma's friends from church and many others looking down at her, anxiously awaiting her arrival in Heaven. Last Tuesday night, their wait was over. There was a homecoming party and Grandma Fay was the guest of honor. Last Tuesday night, she was set free from all of her ailments and age. Reunited with her loved ones, she was home at last. And that is right where she wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment